Using iQ.Suite Data on Different Drives
iQ.Suite Tips & Tricks for Microsoft Exchange / SMTP
Depending on the policies and the amount of mail, quarantined iQ.Suite data can become quite voluminous. In cases such as this, it may be advisable to move the iQ.Suite data directory to a dedicated drive. The important points to remember are listed below.
Step by Step:
- Before starting to copy/move iQ.Suite data, it is essential to back up the entire current database.
- iQ.Suite data is located in the directory "...GROUP Technologies/iQ.Suite/GrpData". Among other things, iQ.Suite processing queues, statistical information, logs and quarantined data are stored here.
- Quarantined data is located in the "Quarantine" directory.
- iQ.Suite knows the path to the data directories from the registry entries. The relevant values are stored under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/GROUP Technologies/iQ.Suite/2.0/General".
- To move iQ.Suite data, two entries are crucial: "Data" and "InQ".
- The "Data" value defines where the "GrpData" directory is located.
- The "InQ" value shows the path to the iQ.Suite processing queue.
- To move the iQ.Suite data, proceed as follows.
- Firstly, the "GrpData" directory data and the iQ.Suite Registry entries must be backed up.
- To ensure that the iQ.Suite data can be copied reliably and consistently, the iQ.Suite services (GROUP iQ.Suite Control Service and GROUP iQ.Suite Service) must be closed. This in turn means that while this work is being carried out, the relevant email server is not protected by the iQ.Suite.
- The SMTP service must therefore be closed too. This ensures that while the data is being moved, no SMTP transport emails can be accepted.
- The entire "GrpData" directory is now copied to the specified new drive. Depending on the volume of data and the server configuration, this may take several hours.
- Please ensure that the NTFS rights for the new directory correspond to those for the source directory.
- Once the directory has been copied, the changes can be made in the registry.
- The value for "Data" is changed to the new "GrpData" directory.
- Set the value for "InQ" to the new InQ directory.
- The iQ.Suite services can now be restarted. When the services are restarted, please check the Windows application log to ensure that all the path information is correct and that there are no error messages.
- Provided there are no error messages when the services are restarted, the SMTP service can also be restarted.
- This concludes the relocation process.